This is an excellent slow cooker recipe... Mix ingredients and let cook. Delicious! Spiced with cumin and coriander and flavored with tomato paste, this veggie-filled lentil stew will keep you warm for winter, and all year round! Good with a loaf of fresh-baked rustic bread! Vegetarian and vegan. Serve with a piece of bread for dipping.
- 5 cups water
- 2 ½ cubes vegetable bouillon, or more to taste
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 5 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ (6 ounce) can tomato paste, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ (8 ounce) package fresh spinach, torn
- Step 1
In a large pot warm water and vegetable bouillon on high until dissolved. Add lentils, carrots, and potatoes.
- Step 2
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin and coriander and cook and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add oil, followed by onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to the large pot in step 1. Stir. Add tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir in spinach.
- Step 3
Cook on low stirring every 30 minutes, until lentils are tender and stew has thickened.